Call for applications for emerging jazz musicians: Residency Taller de Músics / Kultur | lx
Kultur | lx – Arts Council Luxembourg, Taller de Músics and Acción Cultural Española aim to provide spaces for musical creation and to promote the international careers of emerging jazz and improvised music artists. The program includes a period of gestation during an artistic residency and the presentation of the show in Barcelona and Luxemburg during autumn 2023.
The main premise of this call is to select one emerging musician from Luxembourg and one emerging musician from Barcelona to create a quartet of experienced and emerging musicians for a residency programme that will take place from November 18th to 21st, 2023.
For four days, two musicians from Luxembourg and two musicians from Barcelona will meet and share their compositions, cultures and musical visions. The project will be co-led by Marc Demuth, established and talented bass player and composer from Luxemburg, and Irene Reig, saxophonist and composer representing one of the standard-bearers of the new generation of Catalan jazz musicians.
After an initial concert to mark the end of the residency at Barcelona’s Club Jamboree, the quartet will set down roots in neimënster (Luxembourg) for a second concert.
This residency project is supported by Taller de Músics, Kultur | lx – Arts Council Luxembourg, neimënster, Jamboree in collaboration with Fabra I Coats – Fabrica de Creació. This project is part of Acciones para Músicos Noveles, a co-production between Taller de Músics and Acción Cultural Española, AC/E.
About Taller de Músics
Taller de Músics is much more than a pioneering school in the dissemination of jazz, flamenco and modern popular music. In its more than 40 years of history, it has built up its own system of education, creation, production and dissemination of music. In the field of education, it is a unique and complete project of artistic accompaniment that consists of creativity and spontaneity accompanying their students on their paths from the classroom to stage.
Actions for New Musicians is a collaborative project between Taller de Músics and Acción Cultural Española (AC/E). Since 2019 it has been providing spaces for musical creation and promoting the international careers of emerging artists from the Taller de Músics community. The actions it carries out include periods of gestation in artistic residencies with national and international figures, the promotion of shows, co-productions with festivals, digital publishing and attendance at seminars and festivals.
Conditions for participation
The call is open to emerging jazz musicians from Barcelona and Luxembourg. Applicants from Luxembourg must fit the following criteria:
- Be a Luxembourg citizen or a resident in Luxembourg
- Dealing with jazz and improvised music
- Having ties to the Luxembourgish musical life
- Having completed or being in the process of completing a professionalising music curriculum
- Having a desire for a professional career
- Being in capacity to bring his/her own compositions during the time of the residency
- Having a significant experience in a music band as a leader and/or side-musician
- Having good adaptation capacity and a taste for new encounters
- Having a spirit of openness to other cultures and to sharing and questioning one’s own practice
- Being available on the dates of the residency and the concerts
The applications should be submitted by August 31th, 2023 at 11:59 pm.
The names of the selected musicians will be published on mid-september 2023.
Material and financial terms
The selected participant will receive a fee for each concert.
Kultur | lx will cover all the expenses related to the residency of the Luxembourgish participants :
- Travel expenses to Barcelona
- Accommodation for the time of the residency in Barcelona (from November 17th to November 22nd)
- A residency allowance of 600€
Taller de Músics will cover the expenses related to the production costs of the residency.
Jury and criteria
A committee formed by the two band leaders (Irene Reig and Marc Demuth) and the two venues bookers (Jamboree and at neimënster) will evaluate the submitted applications.The jury will select one emerging musician from Luxembourg, and one emerging musician from Barcelona.
The jury’s decision is final.
- Photocopy of ID
- Residency certificate
- Healthcare registration certificate
- A letter of intent explaining the motivation of the artist to take part in this residency programme
- Videoclips where the artist is playing live
- Links to original tracks of the artist